Monday, April 21, 2014

2 States

I recently saw this movie called " 2 States" based on the novel from Chetan Bhagat. I had read this novel but felt the movie was better than the novel in terms of bringing out the characters, feelings, emotions and the everything undergone when a marriage is decided  between 2 people.This movie did bring back a lot of memories.

In my land, for a marriage to happen, it doesn't just involve two people falling in love, it involves the parents, relatives, sometimes 2 different states falling in love with each other. I can completely co- relate to every single scene in the movie. Well , this is my story and I wanted to pen in it down in words today so that some day when I look back and read, or if my generation reads it, they should ve a smile on their face as to how they all came into existence.

I am from Tamilnadu( Southern state) in India, although my mother tongue is Telugu , we were settled in Chennai for some generations, I would call myself a Tamilian rather than a telugite until my parents started looking for proposals. Of course, hubby and I liked each other instantly and fell in love too. We both felt love was enough to get married but no, we realized it quite soon, when we took the next step to convince everyone for marriage. First, was my dad , he was completely against it coz hubby was from a different STATE and the culture, style , tradition everything was different from us. Then it was from the hubby's side, whether I could communicate with my MIL in her language... ( well I did put in a lot of effort and hard work after marriage, and now no one can tell the difference that I am from a different state)

Somehow, that issue was resolved, next thing was again my dad and he had his own inhibitions of getting me married to someone living abroad and whom he did not see in person and is going to see that special person only a few days before marriage.I should really appreciate one person's incredible help here. My hubby's brother-in-law and now my brother who gave that confidence to my dad that everything will be perfectly fine and I will be in safe hands.Next, was the issue from my side as everybody was curious to know as to how this marriage got fixed, they wanted to know the background about the groom's side, their property details and of course we successfully did manage everyone's expectations.

As stated in the movie and in the novel, on top of our parent's permission, we wanted them to be more happy in our marriage than us. I wanted my mom to have fun,enjoy and ve that contented feeling that her responsibility is passed on to someone and that her daughter is in safe hands.We did put in a lot of effort even in the minute things eg., the menu of the marriage , all the other minute details which we knew would be raised as issues and not once thought of going against them.

I am sure every marriage has a story associated with it, some emotional, some romantic,some problematic, some peaceful , some happy, some dramatic.Now when I look back and see our marriage photos and videos, it was indeed a marriage between 2 states,culture and tradition and when I look at all the smiles it was indeed worth all the effort!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment